Ingredients (serves eight)
- Two cups of lentils, rinsed in cold water
- 41/2 cups water, stock may be substituted if desired
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- a few handfuls of chopped kale
- 6 medium carrots cut into cubes approx. 3/4 inch
- 2 or 3 medium potatoes also cut into cubes approx.3/4 inch
- two cup of Brussel sprouts, trimmed and cut into two
- olive oil
- a little white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat oven 425f
Cook the lentils in salted water or stock until tender, around 40 minutes. Drain.
Toss carrots, potatoes and sprouts in olive oil and roast in oven for 30 minute until cooked and crispy, turning half way through.
Meanwhile heat a little olive oil in a pan and fry onions over a medium heat until they start to caramelize. When they are cooked and nicely browned add the kale, a handful at a time, along with a little water. Cook until the kale has turned a bright green but has not begun to lose its shape.
To put the dish together mix the onions and kale with the lentils, then combine with the roasted carrots and potatoes. Top with roasted sprouts and stand back and admire. Season to taste.
If you try this or any other recipe on my website I would love feedback. If you like this recipe feel free to pass it on. If you love this recipe please subscribe using the link below, and I promise you a regular supply of absolutely fabulous ideas for feeding family and friends.