I wanted to make a meatloaf for the Art Lecture lunches as part of the Mid West theme and this is my go to recipe. I am sure this meatloaf is great hot but for some reason I have only ever served it at room temperature. Normally I would add coleslaw or a salad and some roast potatoes. However for this lunch I put it with mashed potatoes, (have I mentioned my potato obsession?) and Raisin Chutney.
- 11/4 pounds of minced beef - I use the 85% beet to 15% fat ratio
- 8 ounces of pork sausage meat - I use the Jimmy Dean frozen packs ( the pack is 12 ounces, throw it all in if you are not going to use for anything else)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 slice of white bread, dipped in milk then squeezed
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- Pre heat oven to 350F
- Cook in a 2LB loaf tin
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients, I find it easiest to do this by hand, until everything is thoroughly incorporated..
- Pack into the loaf tin and bake for 1 -11/4 hours, until the meatloaf has begun to come away from the sides of the tin.
- As I said I am sure this is delicious eaton hot, but I love it cold. It also makes a great sandwich filling and is fantastic served as a pate on toast.