- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced lengthways
- Small pack of smoked salmon
- Jar of picked herring
- Dozen or so large shrimp
- Skagenröra (recipe below)
- Pickled Red Onions (recipe below)
- Soda Bread (recipe below)
- 10 oz/280g/21/2 cups strong white flour plus a little extra for dusting
- 7 oz/200g/13/4 cups wholemeal flour
- 1 heaped teaspoon baking soda
- 12 fl oz (UK)/ 350g/11/2 cups of buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1tsp runny honey
- small handful of little cooked shrimp (prawns), chopped
- 2 Tbs Dill, finely chopped plus extra for garnish
- Small tub of Créme Fraiche or sour cream
- 1 tsp dill sweet mustard
- A little caviar, optional
Red Pickled Onions (can be made ahead)
- Two large red onions, finely sliced preferably with a mandolin
- 1 cup /8fl oz /200ml Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup /8f oz /200ml Cold Water
- 1 cup /51/2 oz / 150g white sugar
- A few juniper berries and allspice berries (optional but pretty)
- 2tsp Mustard seeds
- Bay leaf
- Red Cocktail sauce for the shrimp (optional but recognizable to anyone who buys their Shrimp in Costco)
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F and dust a large baking sheet with flour.
- In a large bowl mix all the dry ingredients together,
- In a separate bowl mix the buttermilk, egg and honey together.
- Make a well in the center of the flours and gradually add the buttermilk mixture, stirring to combine until a dough is formed. If the mixture is too wet add a little more flour.
- Quickly knead the dough and shape into a domed round.
- Cut the traditional cross on top of the dough and sprinkle with a little more flour.
- Bake for around 35 minutes, the bread is fully cooked when you tap the bottom and it sounds hollow
- Combine all the ingredients to make the röra.
- Put in a pretty serving dish
- Put the sliced onions in a glass jar or other non reactive container.
- Slowly boil the other ingredients until the sugar dissolves.
- Simmer for two minutes then allow to cool.
- Poor the cooled liquid over the onions, making sure they are completely covered.
- Stores well in the fridge and looks exceeding pretty.
To serve, arrange all the ingredients on a platter!