A cross between an Avocado Toast and a classic Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato (BLT) Sandwich my BLAT is a quick and easy breakfast. Cut into four triangles and held together with cocktail sticks, BLATS also make a great addition to a brunch buffet. I made some for Alan this morning, as for once I had all the ingredients including a perfectly ripe avocado. We sat on our balcony in Copenhagen, braving the ever constant wind, and were rewarded with a little bit of sunshine.
I started making Bacon, Avocado, Lettuce and Tomato sandwiches when friends of the kids stayed over and I had to rustle up a quick breakfast. As it really was only a slight variation on a BLT, replacing the mayonnaise with the healthier avocado, we started calling them BLATs. Not sure why no-one else has come up with the name.( I have just checked, a blat is a sound made by a sheep)
When I was taking breakfast down to Roton for the tennis, I usually threw in a platter of BLATS. They were a perfect grab and go food. Lets face it, anything with bacon is a perfect food. They work well at room temperature and the bread holds up better with avocado rather than mayo. Omit the bacon and you have a vegetarian option.
For a slightly healthier version use wholemeal bread!
Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado and Tomato Sandwich(BLAT)
A cross between an Avocado Toasts and a classic Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato (BLT) Sandwich my BLAT is a quick and easy breakfast and makes a great addition to a brunch buffet.
- Four slices of bread, toasted
- Six rashers of bacon, cooked
- One tomato, sliced
- One ripe avocado, halved and cut into thin slices
- Two crisp lettuce leaves
- To serve
- Eight Cocktail Sticks
- Step 1 Layer half of the sliced avocado onto a piece of toast.
- Step 2 Top the avocado with three rashers of bacon, half of the tomato slices,a lettuce leaf and another piece of toast
- Step 3 Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Step 4 Cut each sandwich into four and secure each quarter with a cocktail stick.